Adapted from Basic Muffins by Epicurious
1 cup blueberries
2 cups all-purpose flour, divided: ¼ cup for blueberries, 1 ¾ cup for batter
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line or spray muffin pans.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a microwave safe bowl. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl toss 1 cup blueberries with ¼ cup flour.
- In a second small bowl combine 1/3 cup sugar with the zest of one lemon. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl mix 1 ¾ cups flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ cup sugar.
- In a liquid measuring cup measure out 1 cup milk, pour into medium bowl and add 1 egg and ¼ cup melted butter.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Remember to get all the way to the bottom of the bowl, but stir only enough to dampen the flour; the batter should not be smooth.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and flour. Spoon into the muffin pans, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Top with the lemon-sugar mixture
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.