Cheddar Cheese Fondue
Adapted from What's Cooking
12 oz cheddar cheese (or any combination of swiss, gruyere and cheddar)
4 Tablespoons flour (divided)
3 Tablespoons butter
2 1/4 cups milk
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Juice from 1 lemon
1 clove garlic
- Grate the cheese into a bowl and toss with 1 Tablespoon flour
- Peel the garlic clove in half. Rub the inside of your fondue pot with the cut edge of the garlic. Discard clove.
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and nutmeg. Cook for a minute, stirring the butter and flour together. This forms a roux.
- Add the milk slowly and stir it into the roux until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the cheese one handful at a time, stirring into the sauce.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into your prepped fondue pot and enjoy!