Beef and Bean Chili
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook
12 oz (1 lb.) ground beef
1 cup chopped onion (about ½ onion)
½ cup diced green bell pepper (about ½ bell pepper)
2 cloves minced garlic
1- 28 oz can tomatoes
1- 8 oz can tomato sauce
1- 15 oz can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1- 15 oz can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Chop ½ onion and ½ bell peppers into a large dice. Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
- In a large saucepan cook the ground beef, onion, green bell pepper until the beef is brown and the onion is tender. Drain the fat from the meat, open cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, cans of beans.
- Add 1 Tablespoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.